The official collection of papers distributed with Plan 9 forms Volume 2 of the manual. In Plan 9 installations, see in /sys/doc/.
The Inferno papers similarly form Volume 2 of the Inferno manual.
- Adding a System Call to Plan 9 - John Floren
- The Ubiquitous File Server in Plan 9 (2005) by C. H. Forsyth
- Distributed Computing With Plan 9 by Sape Mullender and Dave Presotto.
- Distributed Systems (2004) - Sape Mullender
- Plan 9 - An Integrated Approach to Grid Computing by Andrey Mirtchovski, Rob Simmonds, and Ron Minnich
- Why Plan 9 matters - Geoff Collyer.
- How to Write a Plan 9 Manual Page - Geoff Collyer and Russ Cox
- Notes on the Plan 9 kernel source: PS A4, PS letter¸ ASCII plain text; and the corresponding kernel source snapshot. An rc script can be found in /n/sources/contrib/steve/rc/kernel.print which formats the kernel snapshot file into postscript - in the style of the Lyons Unix commentry. The script is designed for European A4 paper and produces an impressive (inch thick) listing.
TALKS AND SLIDES
- Why Plan 9 is not dead yet And What we can learn from it by Ron Minnich from the Advanced Computing Lab, Los Alamos National Lab
Real-Time in Plan 9 by Pierre G. Jansen and Sape Mullender (2003):
- v9fs: 9P under Linux - Eric Van Hensbergen (IBM Austin Research Lab), Ron Minnich (Los Alamos National Labs)
- R2P2: Raw Resource-Allocation for PCA Processing - Volker Strumpen
- Plan B: Boxes for network resources - Francisco J. Ballesteros
- The Plan B papers page
- Plan B Manual Pages
PLAN 9 RELEASE 2 (1995)
- "README - by Brian Kernighan"
- "Plan 9 Volume 1 - The Manuals"
- "Plan 9 Volume 2 - The Documents"
- "ALEF users guide" ug.pdf
- "A Quick Introduction to the Panel Library"
- "Raster Graphics in plan9" - Tom Duff
- "Plan 9 Second Edition License" (Old license, only of historical interest)
PLAN 9 RELEASE 1 (1992)
- "Plan 9 from Bell Labs - Programmer's Manual (first edition)" manual.ps.gz
- "ALEF Language Reference Manual" alef.pdf
- Help: A Minimalist Global User Interface
- Circuit Design Aids (CDA) on Plan 9
- "Configuring a PC" 08pcconf.ps.gz
- "The Use of Name Spaces in Plan 9" 1-07.ps.gz
- "Acme: A User Interface for Programmers" 1-03.ps.gz
- "The Organization of Networks in Plan 9" net.ps
PLAN 9 EARLY PAPERS
- "Index" 158a.ps.gz
- "Plan 9 from Bell Labs" 158b.ps.gz
- "Plan 9, A Distributed System" 158c.ps.gz
- "8 1/2, the Plan 9 Window System" 158d.ps.gz
- "Multiprocessor Streams for Plan 9" 158e.ps.gz
- "Process Sleep and Wakeup on a Shared-memory Multiprocessor" 158f.ps.gz
- "Rc — A Shell for Plan 9 and UNIX Systems" 158g.ps.gz
- A New C Compiler by Ken Thompson
- "The text editor sam" 1-05.ps.gz
BACKGROUND INFORMATION AND UNIX PAPERS
- Program Design in the UNIX Environment by Rob Pike and Brian Kernighan (AKA "cat -v considered harmful")
- "Notes on Programming in C" by Rob Pike pdf)
- The hideous name by Rob Pike and Peter Weinberger
- The Unix 8th Edition Manual Pages.
- The Writers Work Bench (WWB) Manual Pages.
- Parts of the Tenth edition Unix manual - mainly typesetting ed10
- The Seventh Edition manual - awk(1), dc(1), bc(1), eqn(1), etc. ed7
- "GRAP -- A Language for Typesetting Graphs (Tutorial and User Manual)" 114.ps.gz
- "Upas, A Simpler Approach to Mail"
- "Face the Nation" by Rob Pike and David L. Presotto.
- "A Cached WORM File System" cw.pdf
- "Robust Data Compression of Network Packets" networkcomp.pdf. Thwack PPP compression, implemented in recent releases.
- "An algorithm for differential file comparison" diff.ps
- "T. Porter & T. Duff - Compositing Digital Images" p253porter.pdf
- `Portability of C Programs and the UNIX System' - By S. C. Johnson D. M. Ritchie - PDF, PS, HTML - (More info on DMRs site)
- How to Write a Manual Page - By Henry Spencer manpage.pdf